Bluak Bellatrix

Hi everybody!

Hi Dr Nick!

How you all doing?

I’m good. Just on my lunch break at work. Aww yeah, blogging at lunch time, win!

Graffiti Front Button

Anyways, I made the Bellatrix Blazer by Papercut as part of my Indie Fan Girl outfit along with a La Sylphide by Papercut.

Indie Fan Girl is a competition this year – this month – this week. June – Indie pattern month.

Basically you had to make an outfit of at least 2 patterns from an Indie designer – but only 1 Indie designer, couldn’t mix and match them. This is why I chose Papercut. I absolutely love the patterns that Papercut has to offer and they have a wide range of patterns to choose from which makes life so much easier for the outfit choice! I wanted a blazer/jacket – sorted.

Graffiti Front

However, then it got hard.

I decided I wanted the blazer but then what to go with it? A skirt and top? Pants and top? Dress?

OMG LA SYLPHIDE ! Sooooo pretty !!

Woman Graffiti Full

Back to the blazer though.

I made this out of a remnant that my sis pulled out of the remnants bin at The Fabric Warehouse in Wellington – my first time there too. It is so brilliant!

The fabric itself was amazing it was hard to cut it up. And now I’m gutted I didn’t take a picture first! Imagine this though.. Selvage edges are both black and then grading into this vibrant bright blue right down the middle.

Amazing.

Yellow Wall Blazer Close Up Back

We agreed that it was some sort of wool blend which of course is perfect for said blazer in middle of winter. (Is it really winter if there is no snow or is it just an extended Autumn..?) I feel like I’ve been gypped though, Wellington is cool, people say it gets cold, but there is no snow. It’s all a large conspiracy. WHERE IS MY SNOW ?!?!?!?!?

Tree Fluffy Thing

Right.. so.. Since it was a remnant ($5 – WIN !!!) there was only about a Metre of it at looked like 1.5m wide and with the grading, well I seriously had to place my pattern pieces carefully. Chose to have the blue at the top and black at the bottom. I also did the shorter variation (Variation 2??) as I didn’t have quite enough material for the longer version.

After cutting out the main “outside” pattern pieces I had sufficiently run out of fabric for the facing. Except then it was pointed out to me that the front “facing” piece will be showing because it’s part of the collar and gets folded over – omg I am SO SMART…

Yellow Wall Blazer Close Up

SO.. then I had to find out how to cut that bit off and the answer came with, make this piece into 2 pieces and then join them together! So I did that, however when I went to cut the pieces I ended up cutting them both exactly the same so I then had to use the wrong side for one of the pieces, can you tell which one though?

Blazer Pocket and Button

Now onto the actual pattern. (Sorry guys, this seems to be getting like a long post, but come on, I’m at work, procrastinating and am on a serious rant at the moment so just enjoy it)

The pattern came together REALLY well.. The welt pockets – which I have never done before and scared the begeezes out of me – were done in the easiest way and they look SO GOOD.

Lunch break over, BOOM !

Blazer Pocket Lining

Oh my gosh, next day lunch break, here we go again!

The pattern was really easy to follow for the most part. I did get confused by a couple of things though.

The pattern pictures are based on the longer variation blazer and I like to follow pictures, especially Papercut pictures as they make things so easy! However, the longer variation has different bottom pieces to the pattern and are straight along the bottom at the front rounded at the corner. The shorter variation bottom piece is longer on one side than the other and naturally I thought the longer edges would go down the side seams.

Graffiti Back

I was wrong.

Graffiti Side 2

There was probably something on the pattern stating where the CF was that I just completely missed, but either way I managed to put them on wrong and when it came to sewing the blazer altogether I finally figured it out and had to unpick the pockets/bottom pieces and switch them over to the other side of the blazer.

Blazer Front Side Button

The other part I found difficult was attaching the sleeve cuff lining to the sleeve cuffs. I have never made a lined blazer, or any sort of blazer-like thing before so I was desperatly following the instructions at this point. However I must have done something wrong at this point because after I sewed this seam and tried to turn it the other way, it didn’t work at all, that shit was cray-cray!

So I did it my own way.

Fake Street Open Jacket

When blazer was still un-turned through the lining gap I reached through between blazer sleeve and lining sleeve and pulled them through the lining gap. From here I machine stitched the cuff facing to the cuff lining which actually looks mental (thought I took a picture, my bad!) and when I turned them through properly they were all happy as! YAY !

Graffiti Side

Now summary of deets!

Pattern:

Bellatrix Blazer by Papercut

Fabric:

A wool blend (?) remnant from Fabric Warehouse Wellington $5

A synthetic polka dot lining from my stash

A quilting remnant from Spotlight about 5 years ago $1

Notions:

1 large black button from my stash.

Wow.. I am so uber proud of this blazer.

Advertisements

7 comments

  1. Wow, great blazer! Have not attempted one yet, however I am going to attempt a papercut pattern (leggings) this weekend, so I hope they are easy to follow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s